Friday, January 4, 2013

Dallas ! Brunchin' at Hattie's

I met up with my friend Ida during winter break at Hattie's for a leisurely brunch in Dallas' delightful Bishop Arts District.  A jazz musician entertained strolling couples engaged in last minute Christmas shopping on the corner.

Inside the brightly lit, white linen restaurant was warm and bustling.  Reservations are recommended for this popular spot.  And how could it not be popular when the complimentary bread is a choice of sourdough or banana bread?

I just stared at the server when he gave me the choice.  Who is picking sourdough bread over banana?!


The brunch menu is delightfully Southern, with buttermilk fried chicken, low country shrimp and cheddar grits and others, but my heart was already set on the hangtown scramble.


Yes, your eyes are definitely espying bacon-wrapped oysters fried in a crispy cornmeal crust alongside herb-scrambled eggs and home fries.  Maybe this dish is really cheating, because how can you ever go wrong with frying bacon and oysters together?  I felt slightly guilty eating all five oysters, and maybe I was just altogether shell-fish by not offering Ida one, but sometimes you just gotta go for it, right?



Ida had the pecan-crusted catfish topped with a lemon butter sauce and served with mashed potatoes and vegetables.  It looked great.  She looked great eating it.  It was a win-win.


After, we ate really disgusting cupcakes from Cretia's.  The floury icing weighed a pound, hid a layer of fudge, which I appreciated, but the cake itself was pre-frozen? Not quite defrosted? Tasted like crap?  You pick whatever reason you need to not eat it, and proceed to not eat it.


Han's Nonsensical Rating: I don't think it was the most amazing food I've ever had, but I just really like what they got going on there at Hattie's !  I'd hangtown fry it all night long !

418 North Bishop Avenue  Dallas, TX 75208
Hattie's on Urbanspoon

Cretia's
I'm not going to give you any information on them because I really don't want you to eat here.
Cretia's at Bishop on Urbanspoon

1 comment: