Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Shake Shack Corn Dog & Peach Pie Oh My Concrete

Yesterday, I had the day off from work (what a treat!), so it was the first day I actually had to walk around the city again.  It is only fitting that my first restaurant meal back in the city would be at my favorite all-American spot, Shake Shack.

Despite living in New York for three years now, I have never been able to experience Shake Shack's corn dog since  it is available just a few times a year: Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day, all holidays which I normally find myself back home in Texas, but not this year!  The stars have aligned, and yesterday I found myself on the UES with no line in front of me and an instant order of the corn dog and concrete of the day: Peach Pie Oh My.




Man.  It was good.  Sometimes you just imagine something to be so good for so long and when you have it, it isn't quite what you expected, but this really hit the spot.  It might be because I have not had beef for over a month, but with the fantastically crunchy outer shell, this all-beef corn dog was nothing short of awesome.


The corn dog was accompanied by Rick's Picks corn relish, which if you like pickles, you might fancy.  The corn kernels were fresh and plump.  I didn't eat too much of it though because it didn't quite jive with this delicious beast:



Peach Pie, Oh My! indeed.  After having the pie shake at Hill Country Chicken and now experiencing this peach pie concrete mixture, I can only come to one conclusion: pies and ice cream are just meant to be together as One. Thick. Gooey. Gob. Of. Yumminess.

The concrete essentially involved someone smashing up a thick fat slice of peach pie into their signature vanilla custard.  Each custard-soaked chunk of peach pie (with a rather good buttery crust, I might add) was a reminder of how much I love America.  So super good.

I could eat this whole meal again today.  I think I might have to do this.  I think you might have to do this too - hurry, before the weekend is over !

multiple locations, NYC
Shake Shack on Urbanspoon

PS.  Sorry for the crappy shots.  I was sitting under a shady tree :)

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, don't you just love corn dogs?! And you're soo right that pies and ice cream should never not be together.

    ReplyDelete