Wednesday, June 22, 2011

California ! Sweet Rose Creamery: The Most Delicious / Best / Extraordinary Ice Cream Ever

It feels like it has been ages since Greeshma and I ate up the California coast (LA+Carmel+SF) even though it was just three weeks ago.  Still, not a day goes by where I do not think about (in the most lusty of lusty manners) the ice cream from Sweet Rose Creamery.

The Santa Monica ice cream shop churns out small batches of ice cream (made without any stabilizers or ice cream bases) and makes all their cones, toppings (including pecan brittle and brownie bites?!) and sauces from scratch daily!  With a baby on the signage, it is all too easy to fall immediate in love with Sweet Rose.


All signs pointed to awesome as we were greeted by a rotating glass case at the entrance showcasing Sweet Rose's confections.  It instantly brought me back memories of our dear Voodoo Doughnut case (*tear*), so it just goes to show: if your restaurant/shop features one of these display cases, chances are, everything is bound to be fantastic.



Sweet Rose Creamery counter
Sweet Rose's most popular flavor is the Salted Caramel, but they also have several other interesting flavors including Horchata, Cafe Luxxe Coffee, Lemongrass Jasmine Tea Sorbet and others.  

One scoop of everything please!
However despite the various options, Greeshma and I just had to have one flavor and one flavor only: fresh mint with homemade chocolate chip.


At first bite, every thought in my mind completely vanished, overwhelmed by the incredibly fresh tasting mint flavor that was magically encapsulated in the rich, creamy spoonful.  It tasted as if we had literally chewed a fistful of mint leaves from the most verdant garden.  The homemade dark chocolate shards also accented the unbelievable flavor well.


In addition to the cup of mint ice cream (that elicited guttural swoons with every bite), we also shared the s'mores pie: the most beautiful pie with an ultra-thick graham cracker crust, a base of chocolate ice cream and a topping made of homemade marshmallows enveloped in homemade marshmallow fluff.  The  ice cream clerk asked if we wanted the pie broiled.  Uhm.  Duh?  (Why is this a question??)


The marshmallows were delightfully chewy, the crust perfectly gritty against the creamy chocolate.  Ice. Cream. Heaven. Ohmuhguh.

If we were not headed straight towards dinner afterwards, Greeshma and I could've eaten a few more items.  But unfortunately, there was not enough time or stomach space, so...

We came back the following day! Hahaha.

And got us a candied Niman Ranch bacon sundae !


This bad boy was piled high with the ice cream flavor of your choice (we opted for vanilla), drowning in a bacon bourbon sauce, chunks of crunchy bacon sprinkled across the top, and two thick strips of candied   plugged deep into the glass.


This dessert amplified the lovely balance of salty / sweet, but some spoonfuls in, both Greeshma and I were slowing down.  The dessert may be a bit too indulgent, and may be best shared with a few friends for the taste and experience, but is a bit difficult to complete on one's own.


Greeshma and I also nabbed a couple more samples of the mint ice cream on our return visit.  Man that stuff is wicked good.  I don't think I can ever stop being surprised at how remarkably fresh it really is.

I don't say things like this lightly, but I am certain Sweet Rose Ice Cream is the best ice cream I have ever had.  I'm going to use my next birthday wish and hope they begin shipping asap!  In the meantime, if you ever find yourself in Santa Monica, run, don't walk, to Brentwood Country Mart for an amazing scoop!

225 26th Street, Santa Monica, CA 90402-2569, (310) 260-2663

3 comments:

  1. that bacon sundae is calling out to me. i may even dream about it tonight. i really need to go to this place!!! fresh mint ice cream, here i come...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time I go to LA I am so heading there! That smores pie looks positively magical - can't wait to hear about the rest of your LA trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeean . . . I'm not sure anything can beat my hometown ice cream, Graeter's. But DANG IT. This all looks amazing. Bacon sundae!

    Thank goodness I found your blog before my trip to see my boyfriend's family in Southern California in August!

    ReplyDelete