Saturday, April 3, 2010

Happy Hour @ Chi Bar

Hello, my name is Diana... and I'm a fake sushi lover. I love everything about sushi - except the raw fish. I knowwww, but don't blame me, it's totally hereditary: my mom feels the exact same way. But give us some sushi rolls with cooked eel, shrimp, snow crab, masago, etc, and we'll eat that stuff by the ton.

My favorite sushi place in St. Louis is Wasabi (and I'm sure it'll show up here soon). But last Thursday, I decided to try something different - Chi Bar. Anna, Sam, and I moseyed on down to Chi Bar around 4p to take advantage of a) happy hour prices, and b) outside seating (84 and sunny, yes!). We underestimated the blazing sun, so after baking for bit, we decided to move inside. But not before I got a shot of our edamame!

It came warm and bare bones, with salt on the side. You can't really go wrong with edamame, but I prefer my pods to be seasoned/salted before arriving on the restaurant table.

Happy hour prices include 1/2 off appetizers, 1/2 off certain medium rolls and nigiri, and $1 off thick rolls (their word choice, not mine!). We were huuuungry, so we ordered a lot.

Service complaint: it took them literally 45 minutes for them to bring out our sushi. And since we were only 1 of 3 parties at the restaurant, that's just uncool. We also had trouble getting them to refill our drinks. Hungry + thirsty = unhappy customers.

I will give them credit for a pretty interesting and delicious roll, the cha yoon roll, pictured below. It's eel, mango, shrimp, avocado, and masago. All things I love in life. The mango was a really nice and sweet twist!

We generally enjoyed what we ate, but we weren't blown away by any of it. Add on the fact that the service was really sub-par, I'd say skip Chi Bar, and go straight to Wasabi for any sushi cravings!


Chi Sushi Bar
4 N. Euclid Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63108
314-367-2209

2 comments:

  1. I luuuuuurve mango in sushi!! The sushi platter looked fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also - there was a Wasabi in Jacksonville! I wonder if they are the same!

    ReplyDelete